Quirk (kwerk) noun: 1. A peculiar behavioral habit. 2. A strange chance occurrence.
I am going to focus on the first one.
When folks think of words to describe me, I don’t think quirky automatically comes to mind, but I know I do have some quirks about me. Perhaps some may not even think of these as quirks…however, I will let the reader be the judge.
These aren’t in any particular order, just some I have noticed about myself.
1. I set the clocks at my residence ten minutes fast. My mind is tricked into thinking it is the actual time so I will go ahead and get up. The only devices set to actual time are my watch, the cell phone and the computer.
2. When I have both glasses and contacts, I prefer to wear my glasses at the house or with anything work related but contacts when I am going out places. I even prefer contacts when I’m getting pictures taken.
3. I do not drink from the container, even if there is only a little bit left. I have to transfer it to a cup or a glass; then I throw out the original container.
4. If a weird speck or object happens to land in the water while I’m bathing, I have to find something to scoop it out before resuming. If I am unable to, I drain the water and refill it with fresh water.
5. If I sense I’m going to be in the bathroom for a while, I bring in some reading material to pass the time.
6. If I have no interesting music to play in my car, I will make up a song and melody and just sing it out loud. I will bob my head to the beat and everything. I do get lots of interesting looks, particularly in traffic.
7. I try to have three copies of my writings—one on my laptop, one on my external drive (in case my laptop crashes) and one in print/scribe.
8. I am very particular when it comes to journals I write in: a. If the paper is lined, it must be lightly lined, college ruled to the point where I can barely see the line—otherwise, must be unlined. b. Paper has to have a certain feel to it. c. Outside design must be something I can relate to or something inspirational.
9. There are certain pens I only use for my writing—my favorite are G2, followed by the Uniball Micro. I like the way my writing looks from fine point pens more so than the medium point, so I use medium point pens for all other things.
10. Anything I sign has my middle initial. You will never find me signing anything without it, even if the original document just has my first and last name. I don’t think my name looks right without the middle initial in there.
And no, I'm not going to reveal what the F stands for...lol.
And now you probably know more quirks than you wanted to...