Saturday, June 18, 2022

Just Saying: Entry 2


Hello everyone! The Unleashed One here. I was away from the blog longer than anticipated, but in this "Just Saying" entry, I will fill everyone in on what's gone on.

So ... remember that sinus infection that I spoke about? My primary care doctor gave me an antibiotic that I had not used before. She specified she was erring on the side of caution due to the fact that I have a number of allergies to medications. I started on that antibiotic on the Saturday before I was to return to work from my vacation.

By Thursday of last week, I noticed that I did not seem to be recovering as quickly as I was used to. I didn't feel the energy to go to the gym. I also noticed that the right side of my sinuses and throat were being impacted when previously, the majority of the agitation was on the left side. Plus, I was constantly coughing in a way that wasn't in alignment with an asthma flare-up.

The following day, my voice was gone. I took the day off of work. When my symptoms got worse, I decided to go to Urgent Care. After testing negative for COVID-19 and strep throat, the Urgent Care doctor concluded that the antibiotic wasn't working and put me on a different one, along with a steroid. I was able to get the antibiotic right away. However, the insurance did not cover the steroid (at least not until next week), so I decided to just pick up the antibiotic. If it turned out I needed the steroid by the middle of the following week, then I'd pick it up.

One of the rare times I look at TV is when I am very sick. I am usually on the go too much to sit down and look at shows for long stints. I binged watched The Staircase, The Undoing, and the documentaries covering Ted Bundy and John Wayne Gacy. I picked up where I left off on Boardwalk Empire. I checked out episodes of the UK version of Queer as Folk

During the whole time, Tyrion the cat would check on me. I only had enough energy for the first few days to go to the bathroom, eat, and drink. I didn't really eat much. My appetite is the first thing to go when I'm sick, but for antibiotics, one has to eat. Because my throat was hurting, nothing I ate or drank initially was very satisfying.

I was feeling better going into Monday, but Jazz was having a medical procedure done, so I put in for time-off in advance. She was still having complications the next day, so to be on the safe side, I stayed put. My first day back in the office was this past Wednesday, but it was the only day because I had put in for vacation on Thursday, and all State Offices were closed Friday to observe Juneteenth. Many people were glad I was back and asked if all was okay. I even tested out going on my routine walks while there to test my energy level since I hadn't done any exercising (not even getting in my steps) since June 9th.

On Thursday, I focused on getting back into the routine of doing household activities. Laundry needed to be done. Things needed to be organized. Stuff needed to be cleaned. I contemplated going to the gym but opted against doing so. Besides, it was enough for me to get my steps in.

Friday was a hot day but a beautiful one. After many days of being cooped up in the house due to illness, I was ready to be out and about. After doing my gym workout, I experienced what I described to Jazz as "exercise euphoria". Perhaps the closest comparison is a runner's high. It wasn't that the workout was very intense. More than likely, it was the joy of being back in the gym after being away. The "high" stayed with me through the day.

After my workout, I went to the house to have some breakfast before showering, getting changed, and going  back out. I first stopped at DSW, determined to stick with my game plan.

Game Plan: Find a white or neutral shoe that can go with pants or skirts/dresses. Find a boot that replaces the army green ones that I can no longer wear.

Total Shoe Goal: 2, no more than 3.

The quest got off to a rocky start. 

This shoe was on the clearance rack. I have a soft spot for a unique heel, so I ended up trying the shoe on. I got compliments on how nice they looked on my feet. They did look nice, but I knew it would take significant modifications for my feet to be comfortable. My first thought was, "I'm not as young as I used to be." The next thought was, "I wouldn't have tried to wear this shoe in my 20s." Both were true. I put the J-Lo shoes back in the box and pushed them out of my sight.

For the first twenty minutes, a combination of events happened. A couple of ladies asked for my feedback on heels they were getting for a ceremony. I got distracted by rainbow-colored Marc Jacobs heels that I couldn't find in my size. I saw some Crocs (insert shocked face here) sneakers that I almost considered getting. Just when I believed that the mission was a bust, I spotted a pair of mules.

Before I get to the point as to why this is significant, a small amount of backstory.

The narrowness of my ankle has always been an issue, even when I was heavier, but once I lost weight, it became more pronounced. Back in the day, I would either wear thicker socks or hosiery or deal with the slippage because it was slight. If it was a day when I had to deal with swelling, then the slippage would not be noticeable.

Now, for shoes that I want to hold on to, I have to modify them. Or just invest in a different style of shoe.

In that traditional sense, getting mules would be a solution because one would not have to worry about the heel portion of the shoe at all. Why? Because it isn't there. The focus is to have it grip well enough in the front so that the shoe won't slip.

See ... the thing is ... well, it is hard to describe. One would have to see how I walk. I am a person that is accustomed to having heel and ankle support. If the shoe doesn't go when my foot goes, then I have been known to literally step out of my shoes. It sounds silly but true. It's the same reason why it's a struggle for me to wear flip-flops. 

Okay, back to these mules. I think it was more because they looked classic. Also, they were black. On a whim, I slid them on. It was only after I found the green boots that I realized I'd walked in the Anne Klein mules with absolutely no problem. For that reason alone, I decided to get them along with the green J-Lo boots.

I was just about to purchase the Crocs when I found my neutral shoe. It was a brand I had not heard of but once I put the shoe on it was in love. On top of that, it would be the first pull-on sneaker I've ever owned. Nope, I kid you not.

After my shoe adventure, I got a few bedding items that were overdue across the way. Once I got back to the house, I spent time going through the old bedding items to discard them, along with any washcloths that had stayed past their welcome. It's amazing how much stuff you hold on to, not just to do with sentimental value, but not getting around to tossing the things out. Or believing you'll get around to using them ... but then realizing it was six months from the previous time you made the statement.

I confess I'm guilty of holding on to things based on "getting around to using them" as well as nostalgia. I am doing better, which is why it's become easier for me to donate or discard articles of clothing and pairs of shoes. Papers items are still a challenge. I am formulating a system of how to handle papers, particularly receipts and medical records, because similar to my grandma, I have a thing with holding on to receipts/evidence of payments, even if it was years ago.

There are a couple of weeks left until I begin my Telework schedule. I found a new desk that can house my desktop and the work computer, so that should be coming in next week. I think it's time that I have a new all-in-one printer. The one I have isn't printing as well as it used to. Some colors it picks up better than others. Needless to say, it has served its time.

I believe the Telework concept is a good thing, overall. Honestly, I hope that once the pilot is up, that it is kept as a mainstay, but made optional so that people who prefer the conventional coming into the office five days a week can still do so. 

Okay, that's all I've got for now. Catch you on the flip side.

No comments: