Monday, July 30, 2012

Medical Mayhem: The Saga Continues

I just realized it has been a while since I’ve given a full update on my medical struggles.  I will take the time, while it is fresh on my mind, to do so.

Charity Care (Not So Charitable):

Originally, they said it would take almost three weeks to get back to me.  Strangely, the three weeks got shortened into three days.  I guess that is what happens when the administration knows they are going to reject you.  I got sent a letter stating that I was rejected because the total amount of income, counting my unemployment, was above their threshold—the threshold they consider “too poor to pay”.

I shook my head, since I’m getting penalized from income I was making two years ago to dictate NOT getting the help I need in the present.  

I did write a letter to them, explaining that after paying rent, utilities, and car insurance, there was barely enough left—plus the majority of my income I received from unemployment, not through wages, which was minimal to none the past few years.  They rejected my request for an appeal to their decision.

I’m working two jobs, but my income is less than it was when I was just pulling unemployment.  

I know that is hard to believe, but in my circumstance, it is true.  

Then, when I put this fact in front of them, I don’t get the empathy or sympathy but the question of my unemployment award numbers.  I don’t make the numbers or decide the amounts to be awarded.

In the meantime, while this battle is going on, from the time I wrote that last entry about my health (June 14th) up until about July 17th, I had still been bleeding.  I hadn’t had an opportunity to get my blood work done, and I haven’t had the ultrasound work done, simply because even going in on a sliding scale I’d have to pay over $300 out of pocket.  That money, I cannot comfortably invest without having to go without something else, whether it is food or my medication.

Turbulent Throat and Plight of the Voiceless:

Not having sick pay sucks...
After coming back from New York, I attempted to get back in the swing of working, since I had taken off two and a half days from the day job and two days from the side hustle.  I was working the side hustle and noticed I wasn’t quite feeling up to snuff.  I wasn’t feeling excessively bad, but I noticed I was feeling feverish and my throat was starting to ache.  I attended the day gig Monday as well as Tuesday, but I noticed my glands were swollen, having a cough that wouldn’t go away, body aches, fever…the whole nine.

By the time Wednesday morning (July 18th) came around, my voice decided to take a vacation.  It was gone.  My throat was tight; I was a mess.  What I thought was only to have me missing work for a couple of days turned into almost a week.  It wouldn’t have been so bad if both jobs didn’t require me to do a whole lot of talking, but since they do, it would’ve been a bad idea for me to have been around.

The strange thing is—I never really miss my voice until I don’t have it.  I’m not a person who does a whole lot of talking.  I’m mainly one who does a lot of listening.  It would annoy me more not being able to hear than not being able to talk, to be honest with you. 

The toughest part was going to the gas station, since out here, you aren’t supposed to pump your own gas.  I had to write down or gesture to the attendant how much gas I wanted in my tank.  One guy got offended that I wasn’t saying anything until he realized no matter how much he squatted to try to hear me, no sounds were coming out. 

My voice isn’t quite at 100%; my cough hasn’t fully gone away, and my throat is still a little sore.

However, I did notice through all of this, something has gone away

The bleeding.

I’m not sure whether it is purely a coincidence.

I’m not sure whether it is a situation where my body can’t handle both of these things going on at the same time, and it’s waiting until one is over with before the bleeding starts again.

I’m not sure whether my brain told that particular part, “Hey they are broke and can’t check on you yet, start up again when they have more cash,” and it said, “Okay.”

I just don’t know, but it is baffling to say the least.

Until the next episode.


No comments: